Tuesday 27 September 2016

Make it New

QUOTE OF THE SESSION: “Love the process” - Lauren Mitchell

It was a beautiful Saturday morning and View Street was jam packed and buzzing with people everywhere. There were people young and old, mingling, interacting and just simply embracing what the festival had to offer. It was great to feel apart of a community in a sense where everyone was at the festival to learn and gain insight on what authors had to say.


It was a busy morning and I always have a thing with time management if I don’t get somewhere on the allocated time that’s it. My old and interfering friend ANXIETY kicks in. I’m here, the Fire Station it says, how can you miss it. I’m about to walk into the session “Make it New” and then the ticket lady stops me. “Wait here please, I think the session’s full”. NOOOOOOOOOOO I say in my head panicking. “Come through there’s a few more seats left”. Hallelujah!!!!!! I quickly but quietly hurry to find a seat. Lucky. There’s a seat 3 rows up on the end where a friendly lady says, “Sit here”. The lights dim down and the session begins.

The audience is greeted by the wonderful Sue Gillett as the interviewer and 3 authors Sam Cooney, Briohny Doyle and Lauren Mitchell. This seminar set the bar high. The audience was enthusiastic and it had a conversational like vibe, which made it appealing, I really admired what Lauren Mitchell had to say. She was the author of “Artist Spaces” which is about 12 creative people and the beautiful places they live and work, it highlights photographs of inspiring homes and studios of the artists. She discussed the importance of constantly making relationships, which makes you gain more opportunities. Even though writing a book is hard at times you must "love the process" as Lauren said. Anything you love takes time, patience and perseverance. In order to be successful you must take risks and do what’s best for you. To me I think, that’s so true because in life you must take some scary risks and just try because you never know what could happen to your career. One of favourite quotes is "If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough" and to me Lauren was conveying that through the session. She had 3 excellent tips for the audience to remember:
Sam Cooney, Briohny Doyle, Sue Gillet and Lauren Mitchell at the "Make It New" session.

1.Be brilliant at what you do.

2.Be reliable and professional.

3.Be a nice person.

These 3 elements were extremely important because it made the audience question how they felt and also really engaged each individual. In order to be successful in what you do you must be willing to do the hard yards. This was a great session because she spoke honestly and realistically which I appreciated. Writing is a not only hard work but is also a fulfilling experience which enables individuals to believe that the mind can create many magical concepts when you put them pen to paper.





No comments:

Post a Comment